It has only been a few weeks since I started pinning.
Now I want to kick myself and say what was all that pin-phobia about. If you are over 40 and you want to know about social media, it is highly recommended that you ask your children for help. If you recall my daughter gave me a crash course in Pinterest providing some very simple insight to get me to create my first board. This is what she said:
1. Mom you are over thinking it.
2. It’s a board with pictures that tell a story.
3. The problem with your generation is you are trying to figure out how to use it.
4. In my generation it is truly a social element and if you try to use it you will ruin it just like My Space.
5. Pin interesting things and let it be what it becomes.
So I took her advise and now I am addicted to pinning. It is a great way to wind down your day or create a life diversion at any time. I realized I was hooked when I worked on my Merry Christmas board (lindaleonpins) and what started as a thirty minute life diversion ended up with me looking at the clock and it was passed 1:00 in the morning. I had been pinning for hours. My advise, don’t start pinning unless you have nothing else to do.
In my case everything my daughter said was true.
I am keeping it simple and letting it become what it becomes. It is so exciting to pick up followers and be repined. During this time I have been looking at what people pin and the types of boards that are available. I have found that there is really no limit as to the conversation you can start. It is a poster child for the Nike logo, “Just Do It.” So here are five things I have learned so far about pinning.
1. Create your own world. How do you want to impact people?
2. Create something that entertains or provides a message.
3. Pin things that interest you categorically.
4. Follow people, many will follow you back. If they don’t decide to un-follow or keep following them.
5. Pin when you have nothing else to do so that it does not become a time consumer.
I am up to nine boards right now. My world consist of my food board (Can’t Live Without It), my fashion board (Pretty), my life prospective board (Embrace Life), my wisdom board (Things Wise People Say), my holiday boards (Merry Christmas and New Year), my miscellaneous board (Books and Stuff), my marriage board (Do U Remember the Time You Fell In Love) and my spiritual board (In the Beginning God). Hopefully that is enough to get you started. I would love for you to follow me at lindaleonpins. It really is fun. Please feel free to pin, tweet or like this article. Share it anyway you would like. Happy Pinning!